Shooting any weapon system is fun, but also very dangerous. You can be proficient with one weapon but then use a crossbow and look at it puzzled wondering where the safety is. So let's talk about some crossbow safety tips!
Remember it is a weapon and misuse of a crossbow may cause serious harm or even death.
- Just like a range have proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the weapon you are firing. In this case, wearing a good pair of safety glasses is a must.
- Do not run or stalk with a loaded crossbow.
- The foregrip is there for a reason. Use it so your fingers won't get in the path of the bowstring when firing.
- Be positive of your target, whether it's small game or paper make sure you know what lies behind it.
- When cocking an arrow, do not point your crossbow at anything other than the designated target.
- Move the safety to FIRE position only when you are ready to FIRE.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to FIRE.
- Keep your arrows protected. You don’t want to trip and impale yourself.
Bonus tip: Use common sense.