What is a Half Windsor Knot?
The Half Windsor knot (also known as the Single Windsor) is similar to the Full Windsor Knot. This tying method results in a thinner knot than the full Windsor but, still allows the use of narrower collar shirts and thicker ties than the Full Windsor knot. The Half Windsor Knot is a symmetrical, medium wide tie knot.
1. Place the wide end of the tie on the right and the small end on the left. The tip of the small end should rest slightly above your belly-button (this will vary depending on your height and the length & thickness of your tie). Only move the wide end.
2. Take the wide end and place it over the small end to the left.
3. Under the small end and to the right.
4. Up to the center, towards neck loop.
5. Through the neck loop and to the left.
6. Across the front, over to the right. Up into the neck loop from underneath.
7. Down through the loop you’ve just created in the front.
8. Tighten the knot by pulling down on the wide end. Slide the knot up & adjust.
Note: Simply keep working on this necktie knot and be sure to practice a few times until you get the length of the tie correctly. You want the wide portion tip of the tie to be right above your belt buckle.